Open Roles – new roles are added all the time, please check back regularly.
GI Energy: 12-month cross-departmental undergraduate internship – USA
GI Energy, an affiliate of Shell New Energies US LLC, a leading developer of sustainable on-site energy infrastructure solutions, is seeking applicants for a 12-month internship, starting in Summer 2019.
GI Energy is headquartered in Chicago, IL with offices in West Hollywood, CA and New York City, NY. The internship may be based out of any of our locations with a preference for West Hollywood.
Using the latest technologies, world-class engineering and outstanding execution, GI Energy helps customers to produce reliable, resilient, clean and cost-effective energy. This position offers a great overview of all aspects of a rapidly expanding business at the cutting edge of the clean energy sector.
GI Energy seeks to expand the group through the addition of talented, driven individuals. Our core team is composed of independent thinkers who collaborate to develop viable solutions to energy challenges, creating the future of sustainable energy. The intern will work across the Marketing, Analytics and Development departments to support the group to develop holistic district-scale projects. We seek to add an intellectually curious junior member. They must be highly willing to learn and take a proactive approach to problem solving. They must be enthusiastic about working on every aspect of GI Energy’s business, from website management to energy modelling to research on cities’ energy policies.
Intern Job Description
The Intern will:
- start by learning about the technologies we work with: CHP, energy storage, geothermal heat exchange, Solar PV and microgrid automation and controls;
- support the Marketing function by writing case studies, arranging Conference abstract submissions and logistics, taking responsibility for social media updates (Twitter) and keeping the website updated;
- spend time with the Analytics department to
- model the financial/business case for distributed energy resource (DER) solutions particularly in commercial, industrial, and institutional applications
- for example, undertake incentive research, summarizing new/emerging incentives for geothermal and on-site energy technologies (specifically in New York, California, and Chicago)
- perform tariff/economic analysis;
- assist the business development team with reports and research on potential customers;
- be asked to maintain a current understanding of emerging trends in energy markets and improvements in commercial technologies, to share information with the wider team;
- support writing of reports for existing clients by an experienced team member, with the goal of progressing to undertaking client projects more independently, with appropriate supervision and guidance.
Useful Hard Skills
- Strong MS suite skills (especially Excel but also Word and PowerPoint) and knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign) preferred but not vital
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Any excel financial modeling experience or programming experience a plus
Desired Soft Skills
- Proactive approach to problem solving
- Willingness to learn and ‘get stuck in’
- Demonstrated excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work in small teams within a faced-paced environment
- Confidence to work independently with support, openness to feedback and coaching, unafraid of requesting support where required
- Interest in sustainable or renewable energy technology and/or policy
- An eye for design appreciated but not a requirement
Points to note
This is a salaried position.
The intern will be responsible for their accommodation arrangements with guidance from GI Energy.
To apply for this role please send a one page resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Still interested in working for GI Energy, but no open roles/open roles not quite right?